Cactus Gardening

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Saguaro (Carnegiea gigantea)

It is said that the Saguaro can live for 200 years and may take up to 75 years to grow an arm. Many of a Saguaro's around my neighborhood community have several arms, which would make them quite old. When they built the community the builder replanted the Saguaro's along the common areas and drive into the community and as each week passes more seem to show up. The area is growing in new home builds and the law requires the builder to either sell or replant the Saguaro's.

Recently I purchased one that is a little less than 3 feet in height and grown in a pot. I hope to have it planted in a few weeks.

Take a look at the thorns on this plant!!! They are very sharp and grow in all directions.

I am not even going to attempt the task of planting it; I will leave that to my landscaper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home